Thursday 14 January 2016

Quitting your job...

A bit of a rambling post (yet again) today, about a subject that affected 2015 for me a lot and I wish I had a little more advice on back then.
In January 2015 I quit my job for the first time ever. It was such a horrible experience and I never want to relive it. In November 2015, I quit another job, the second time around, I felt nothing but relief and happiness.

Lets rewind a little, in 2014 I had been working for a company for a year, at the time I didn´t realise I was being treated so badly. After a recent promotion I was being expected to do things outside of my job role, and although I was more than happy to go above and beyond for a job I had a feeling I was being taken advantage of. 
In January 2015 I finally quit that job, it was the first time I had ever quit a job (I have usually had to leave jobs because of moving etc.). It was such a difficult decision for me to make but I knew I had to. I remember feeling so guilty after getting a promotion and then leaving, but enough was enough and my boss made me feel horriblly guilty for quitting. It took a lot for me to do that and I hoped that would be the last of it...

A month later I had found a new job and I was ecstatic, I was finally free of a place where I felt uncomfortable and unhappy and I could relax a little. 
However things quickly took a turn for the worse and I found myself back at square one. Doing more work than should ever have been expected of me, going home and worrying about work every night and being miserable and generally unexcited about it.

The second time around things were much easier, I didn´t feel guilty whatsoever, I knew that work should never take over my life, in particular my personal life and I knew that in time I would find a job that I was happy with.

I´m not saying that the second things get hard within your job then quit, not by any means.
But if everyday you are spending your life thinking and worrying about work then maybe you need to re-evaluate. It´s so easy to get caught up in work and to let people take advantage of you just because you´re a hard worker, but trust me when I say that there are more opportunities out there.
You should never feel guilty for leaving something behind that makes you unhappy.
For me it was just building up the courage to actually quit, but once I had I felt so much better, and you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment