Tuesday 9 July 2013

10 ways to a happier you...

We all have goals in life, things we wanna achieve and do. But in old one sense I think we all share one goal in particular. We all want to be happy.

But what is happiness? 
Finding the perfect partner? A huge slab of dairy milk and a glass of cold milk? Being cuddled to sleep?
We all have different ideas of happiness. 

In life I think we all have ups and downs no matter what. But I wanted to write a post on steps I have taken in the past or that I take when I'm feeling sad, that have made a difference in how I feel and ultimately made me a happier person in general.
They may not all work for you, and of course some may be easier said than done, but I assure you, if you're in a bad place or having a bad day, this could help you. (I hope).

1. If someone is making you unhappy, kick them out of your life.
I know for sure that this step is way easier said than done. Trust me.
But if you can do it, then do it.
In terms of partners... I've had boyfriends in the past who I wasn't exactly happy with, who I stayed with for the pure comfort of having them. Eventually I realised that I didn't want to be sad or crying everyday, why be with a person who doesn't make you feel great? Why put yourself through that? Why let yourself suffer? In the grand scheme of things you will be okay without that person! If somebody doesn't make you happy, there really is no point in moving forward with that person. It's the exact same with friendships and other relationships. 
"Surround yourself with people that lift you higher"
It takes time and its not easy, but if you want to be happy, don't waste your life surrounding yourself with people who bring you down.

2. Spring clean
If you're anything like me you will hate cleaning, there is always something so much better to do than cleaning. However, there is no better feeling than waking up to a clean and organised space. 
This step is proven to make you happy.
Clear your mind or clutter and things you don't need or use, make space. Take things to your local charity shop or pass them on to a sibling or a friend. 
Clear space, clear mind. 

3. Make a 'to do' list, and do it!
There's nothing more satisfying than getting things done. And nothing brings me down like having a bunch of things to do - solution: write down everything you need to do and sort out and slowly do them. Lists can get overwhelming sometimes, but there is nothing quite like seeing your own progress and taking things off your mind one by one. 

4. Pamper yourself
So cliche but so necessary. 
I'm not saying you have to spend hundreds on spa treatments, just the little things like painting your nails, having a glass of chilled wine in a hot bubble bath, catching up on your TV shows. Sometimes work and your social life get in the way and you lose track of yourself and doing the small things that satisfy you. Take an hour or two a week to yourself and do something that YOU want to do.

5. Ask yourself where you want to be in 5 years and figure out how to get there.
This is something I'm currently working on myself. 
What do you want out of life? 
What would make you proud of yourself?
Make a five year plan and take steps to reach your goals.

6. Spend time with your loved ones.
For me, nothing makes me happier than visiting my family. Seeing how much my nieces and nephews have grown makes me so happy. It's hard not to be happy when you're around people who you love and who love you.

7. What're you thankful for?
Too often we take the people we love or the things we love for granted. Take time to think over everything you have as opposed to what you don't have. Stop wishing for things that you want and start appreciating what you have. You may be luckier than you think.

8. Learn something new..
Teaching myself something or finding out a new fact always makes me happy. I think we can never have enough knowledge. I recently baked a batch of triple chocolate cookies all by myself (which I have never done) and seeing the outcome (and tasting them) made me so happy. I love learning new things, even the little facts you get on Cheesestrings interest me.

9. Do a good deed!
I know most of these are so basic and cliche but they are hugely effective. I'm not saying you have to adopt an animal or go grocery shopping for an elderly person to fee  happy. Just small things, like letting someone on the bus before you, offering your seat on the tube, complimenting someone, smiling at a stranger. Anything that makes somebody else's day that tiny bit better will surely have an effect on the way you feel too.

10. "Be the best version of yourself"
Lastly is a quote that will hopefully make you feel better within yourself. Whether it's taking an hour to get ready to just pop to the shop, or taking on some hours at your local charity shop. Do what makes you happy and be the best you can be within yourself.
You are one person, don't rely on others to make yourself happy, you are the key go your own happiness and it is ultimately YOU that decides what person you want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment